A cell undergoing mitosis!
Journey of Mitosis (Cell Reproduction):
1. Interphase: Period of growth and replication of DNA. (90% of cell’s life).
G1 Phase: Period of regular growth; mitochondria and chloroplasts multiply.
Synthesis: DNA is replicated (semi-conservative replication).
G2 Phase: Another period of growth in preparation of dividing.
2. Prophase: Nuclear membrane breaks down, DNA condenses, spindle fibers appear.
3. Metaphase: Chromosomes align and attached to spindle fibers.
4. Anaphase: Sister chromatids (DNA) are split apart to either pole of the cell by the pulling of spindle fibers.
5. Telophase: Nuclear membrane forms around DNA, chromosomes decondense, spindle fibers break down.
6. Cytokineses: Cytoplasm divides.
And the new cells start the cell cycle once more!
A quick and nifty brush up on mitosis.